Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week 5 of 52: Carrot Cake


February 3 2013

Week 5 of 52: Carrot Cake

I can't really remember specific birthday cakes when I was a kid. Perhaps it is because I really can't remember a lot of my childhood. Perhaps because I blocked them out. Like when my mom threw me a surprise 30th. I don't remember that cake either! But for some time, I have always asked for a scratch cake, specifically Carrot Cake. It is my favorite and I feel that on birthdays, especially, someone should make you a scratch cake. Not those store-bought kind. But one made with love (and sweat!).

So this past year, my mom made a carrot cake. It was her best ever. She told me of course it was from scratch. Until the next day, when she fessed up to making a boxed mix cake! I was heart-broken, but really surprised. It was fantastic!

Well today is National Carrot Cake Day. Perhaps you are unaware, but almost everything on earth has its own "day"!  This was the perfect day to create a scratch cake that was even better than that fantastic boxed cake and one that I could give to my mom to use this year.

I searched out a number of cake recipes and settled on a variation between one I found on MarthaStewart.com and JoyofBaking.com. This one has pecans, coconut, and of course carrots. But no pineapple. I am not sure why people put pineapple in carrot cake, but I am not a fan. I like my pineapple cold, fresh, and sweet. Not heated in any sense. That may be a result of years having ham with pineapple rings when I was a kid. I don't eat ham anymore.

I made a two layer cake with a cream cheese frosting. I had more pans, I think I would have preferred a four layer cake with thinner layers and more frosting. But that is just my passion.

I will post the picks tonight, and the recipe tomorrow, along with another pic once it is cut open.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment