Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Week 24 of 52: Chocolate Cake (aka "to die for chocolate cake")

I really could have thought of a more intriguing name, but frankly, it is all about the chocolate. Last week, I had such a craving for a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, I can't believe I waited until Sunday to make this dessert!

Thinking back, I don't know if I have ever made a chocolate cake. Nor do I remember anyone in my family making one, apart from 9x13 sheet cakes from a box that my mama would make on occasion. I guess it really wasn't in my family.

But a craving is a craving, and after searching for a great inspirational recipe (I went back to Rosie), I have created the four-layer, dark chocolate frosted, chocolate cake.

Enjoy!

To Die For Chocolate Cake

Cake Ingredients
4 0.4oz squares of unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 1/2 c flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 T espresso coffee powder, dissolved in 1 c hot water
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
Preheat oven to 345F. Grease two 8" round pans. Line with parchment rounds.

Melt chocolates in a small bowl in the microwave, at 20 second bursts, stirring in between until smooth.

Sift sugar, flour, baking soda, salt into a mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk coffee, water, sour cream, and oil.

With the mixer on low, stream liquids into dry ingredients slowly until incorporated (less than 1 minute). Add the eggs and mix just until blended. Pull bowl out and fold in the melted chocolate and chocolate chips.

Divide batter between the two pans and bake until the cake top rings back and a toothpick comes out clean, roughly 35-38 minutes.

Cool completely before frosting.
Frosting Ingredients
1 T espresso coffee powder
1/4 c baking cocoa
1 stick unsalted butter
5 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 c half and half, cold

Beat all ingredients in a standing mixer using a paddle or whisk for 15 minutes, or until fluffy.

Cut layers of cake in half, and frost in between for three layers of frosting plus the top frosted.



Adapted from The Rosie's Bakery All-butter, Cream-filled, Sugar-packed Baking Book, by Judy Rosenberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment