Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

The new year is here and it's day 1 of 52 Weeks of Desserts. I plan to talk about desserts in general and anything else that seems to go along with that. I will take what I learned in home ec in high school and in baking during my life (not much) to share stories and ideas that I hope will be useful to others. If you have suggestions or questions, I look forward to hearing from you. So let's get started...

I have been reading stories and watching shows all day and in fact for a few days all about New Year's Resolutions.  According to wikipedia, (my source for all information! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_resolution) 40% of us make resolutions. I have been making various resolutions for as long as I can remember. From lose weight, get organized, eat better, eat less, and on and on. Well, needless to say, I barely remembered what I resolved by the end of each January!

So, this year, I have again made a resolution...to blog. This is actually mutlifaceted. I want to become a better baker. I am married to a Moroccan and learning to cook meals that he would find familiar came easy to me. I can make a mean lasagna and vegetarian spaghetti, but I also make a great beef and prune tagine and chicken ghamelah.  But desserts have eluded me.  This blog will allow me to practice my skills and hopefully get better, it will hold my feet to the fire to stick to my resolution, and it will give me opportunities to branch out and learn about desserts from different cultures and regions.

I am good at the simple things...cupcakes, cookies, regular cakes...but when it comes to moving out of my comfort zone, I am a scared duck. But with all things new...you have to take your first step off the edge and then just grin when things don't look like the fancy picture!

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment