Thursday, January 17, 2013

Week 2 follow up

Just a short note to follow up the Week 2 dessert. The taste was good, but the overall dessert was not what I had hoped for when I started.

First...the cake recipe was definitely a delicious pound cake. However, as with all pound cakes, the "crust" from the sugar content made the "cupcake" version MUCH too crusty. There was too much surface area and not enough inside to maintain the moisture of a soft inside.  The cupcakes almost had a cornbread consistency.

Second...the filling did not turn out as airy as I wanted. It was much more runny. Not liquid-y, but too dense to be a fluffy Twinkie-like filling. Not sure what I can do with this, other than find a different combination. I think the marshmallow fluff really did not allow for enough air. I will keep searching. I do want to make a fake Hostess cupcake one of these weeks.

Finally...because the cupcakes were dense, the filling really was not able to be pushed into the dessert. Kind of a let down.

This is definitely a learning experience and I am enjoying the adventure!

Coming up this weekend, I am celebrating Martin Luther King Day. Dessert-making will take place on Monday so that the outcome can be taken to work on Tuesday.  More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment