Friday, March 15, 2013

Week 10 of 52: Cheesecake bars with mission figs and white chocolate

Okay, so I have to admit...Sunday went by too fast and though I made dessert, I just could not find the time to get this posted! But tonight is the night.

So last weekend was the celebration of National White Chocolate Cheesecake Day. And though My mama found my individual springform pans, I really wasn't in the mood for a whole cheesecake. So I went on the hunt for something that would inspire me and I went back to Rosie's cookbook. She did not let me down. Her recipe used golden raisins, but 1) I didn't have any, and 2) I did have some dried mission figs which I absolutely love, and I had to find a way to incorporate white chocolate.

I must say that the crust/topping kinda threw me for a loop on this one. It did not come together as much as I expected it too, but afterwards it was fantastic, so it works. But when you make it, you might think that it is too dry,but it isn't.

These went fast at the office on Monday, so plan to make these on more than one occasion. They are fantastic!

Week 10: Cheesecake Bars with Mission Figs and White Chocolate

Crust and Topping
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
6 T confectioner's sugar
12 T butter, unsalted, room temperature, cut into about 50-60 pieces
2 T light brown sugar, lightly packed
3 chunks of vanilla bark, coarsely chopped

Filing
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (I used full fat)
3 T sour cream (I used full fat)
2 T fresh lemon juice (a small to medium sized lemon)
1 1/2 t lemon zest (I used the zest from the whole lemon)
1/4 c sugar
1 egg, large, room temperature
1 t pure vanilla extract
1/4 c dried mission figs, coarsely chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x8" pan.

Make the crust...
1. Combine flour and confectioner's sugar in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Add butter and pulse until the mix crumbles together.
FOR THE TOPPING...Remove 1 cup of the mix to a separate bowl and toss in brown sugar to mix. Set aside for topping.
3. Pour out remaining contents of food processor into prepare pad and press down to form crust.
4. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
5. Let cool partially and then top with the white chocolate.

Make the filling...
1. Put all filling ingredients, except the figs into the food processor and pulse until very creamy.
2. Remove bowl and fold in figs.
3. Pour filling over white chocolate topped crust.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes until top is golden and filling is set.
5. Let cool completely.

Remove from pan and cut into bars. Can keep in the fridge on Day 1 uncovered, and then for two more days covered.

Adapted from The Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Cream-Filled, Sugar-Packed Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment