Sunday, March 24, 2013

Week 12 of 52: Banana Walnut Chocolate Bread Pudding

Last week I bought bananas. They were on sale for a great price (29 cents per pound) and of course I bought too many. So this weekend I had to use them, but I didn't want to make a plain old banana bread. So I went in search of banana dessert. Let me just say that there are far too many banana bread recipes and far too many recipes for bananas foster! Fortunately, I ran across a bread pudding recipe.

There are a number of things I remember from childhood. I can count them on my fingers! Everything else, I tend to be a bit uncertain. So let me say, I remember eating bread budding as a child, but, I can't remember where or when. One thing I do remember is liking it a lot.

So this weekend, I have adapted a recipe from Emeril Lagasse.* I added chocolate chips, because everything is better with chocolate. I omitted the liqueur because we don't cook with it in our house. And I decided to not add a sauce, because I thought it was rich enough.

Enjoy!

Banana Walnut Chocolate Bread Pudding


Ingredients

4 T melted butter

2 demi loaves of french bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (toast if fresh) - I sliced bread thick about 12 slices each loaf, then cut each slice into 6 pieces each

2 c heavy whipping cream (1 pint)
2 c milk (2%)
4 large eggs
1 c light brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t ground nutmeg
Pinch salt, sea

5 small/medium mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions

  1. Put bread cubes in a large bowl. Pour melted butter over them and stir to coat.
  2. In another bowl, whisk together the milks, eggs, sugars, and spices. Pour over bread cubes and stir. Let sit for 30-45 minutes until bread is soggy and most liquid is absorbed.
  3. Preheat oven to 350F.
  4. Mix bananas, nuts, and chips. Fold into soggy bread mixture.
  5. Pour into prepared pan.**
  6. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until top is crisp and center is firm.

Serve warm.

*Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/banana-walnut-bread-pudding-with-buttery-rum-sauce-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

**I used two lightly greased loaf pans. But you also can use one lightly greased 9x12" baking dish.

2 comments: