Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 11 of 52: Chocolate Peanut Butter Patties

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

To honor this great holiday, and my love for McDonald's Shamrock Shakes, I decided to mix things up with my favorite brownie recipe. For this one, it had to be a white brownie, and for the mint...I added a cheesecake topping.

I did a bit of research on this one, as changing from a cocoa-based brownie to a white chocolate brownie means you have to reduce the butter and sugar. And the ratio for cocoa to chips is 1T cocoa = 1oz chips.

All this said...the dessert FLOPPED! I was so incredibly dissapointed, and I will have to go back to this recipe and figure it out, but for now I have decided to make a chocolate-dipped peanut butter patty.

This recipe came to me when I made the Peppermint Patty Brownies. I thought, these are great mints on their own, but what if I made them with peanut butter. And topped them with chocolate...well, because evertything is better with chocolate. So here goes!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Patties

Patty Ingredients
     14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
     1 teaspoon vanilla extract
     6 cups powdered sugar
     1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Filling Ingredients
     1 cup creamy peanut butter
     1/2 cup powdered sugar
      generous pinch of sea salt

Chocolate Coating Ingredients
               8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
               1 cube chocolate almond bark, chopped
               3 T margerine


Patty Directions – do this part first, then put discs in the freezer while you mix up the chocolate coating:
1.
     Combine the sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
2.
     Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat.
3.
     Knead on a surface sprinkled with more sugar until dough is stiff.
a.
     (The stiffer the better when it come to the topping part!) Add more sugar while kneading if the dough is sticky.
4.
     Roll 1/2 inch thick.
5.
     Cut into approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch circles and make a small indentation in the center of each disc.
Note – The dough is very stiff if you add all 6 cups of powdered sugar.  It rolls out with a rolling pin very nicely.  I used one of the small condiment containers from Tupperware to cut my circles.


    Filling Directions
       1. Mix ingredients in a stand mixer. Place a small dollop in the indent of each disc.

    Chocolate Coating Directions
         1.  Slowly melt chips, bark, and margarine in the microwave, 10 seconds at a time.
         2.  Lay out patties on a cookie sheet.
         3.  Spoon chocolate over cold patties

No comments:

Post a Comment