Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Week 13 of 52: Crunchy Coffee Cookies

This week, I had to come up with a dessert a bit early because I had an event that I needed to bring dessert. It had been a while since I made cookies, but since I have my "famous brownies" I wanted something that would rival them and yet be different enough to add to the list of "famous" recipes. So I turned to my favorite baker, Rosie. She has a recipe for a very chocolately cookie and a vairiation that adds white chocolate. So, I blended the two, and they are choc full of yummie chrunchies and enriched with espresso. Strangelyenogh, I had everything in my pantry! I suggest you keep a stock of baking chocolates (all varieties), espresso coffee, and lots of nuts. To do it again...I will add some coconut too!

This recipe makes the batter very thick and dense. I used a cookie scooper and it worked out great. I ended up getting 32 cookies out of the mix.

Enjoy!

Crunchy Coffee Cookies


Ingredients

3.2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
5 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
6 T butter, unsalted

1/3 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t sea salt

2 large eggs
2 t pure vanilla extract
1 T ground espresso coffee
3/4 c sugar

1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 c white chocolate chips
1/3 c chopped pecans
1/3 c chopped walnuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 325F and prep baking sheets with a light spray of cooking oil for the first round of cookies.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, soda, and salt. Set aside.

Put baking chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds. Stir. Heat for 20 seconds. Stir. Heat for 20 seconds. Stir until all the chocolate chunks have melted and the mix is smooth and creamy. Set aside to cool slightly.

In the stand mixer, beat eggs, vanilla, and coffee on medium. Add sugar and incorporate until thick. Add the melted chocolate and blend for 1 minute. Add flour mixture on low just until incorporated. Remove bowl from the mixer and fold in the crunchies.

Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepped baking sheets. I got 8 on a standard sized sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes, the edges will be crisp and the cookies will have risen slightly.

Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks. Store in an air tight container.

Adapted from Soho Globs recipe from The Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Cream-Filles, Sugar-Packed Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg, page 136.

No comments:

Post a Comment